My name is Nicholas Souza and I am a senior game designer currently working at Ubisoft Montreal on a undisclosed project. I’m in the games industry for 9 years having designed portable games (DS, PSP), freemium mobile games and AAA games. I love all sorts of digital games and boardgames (I have a small collection of them BTW )
Currently living in: Montreal, QC – Canada
Languages: Portuguese (native), English (fluent), French (Intermediate)
Skype ID: nlsouza
Ubisoft Montreal- Montreal- Canada (Full-time – Since November 2012)
Senior Game Designer: Undisclosed project
- Working on its conception
Senior Game Designer: Rainbow Six: Siege (PC, XBOX One, Playstation 4)
- Designed the PVE Game Modes
- Designed the AI Shooting System & worked on improving all AI archetypes
- Worked on the game monetization
- Balanced game economy
Senior Game Designer: Mighty Quest for Epic Loot (PC)
- Designed and prototyped the game creature behaviors and abilities
- Designed core systems features like Forge and Creature Crafting
- Worked with content design creation and integration
- Balanced game economy
Glu Mobile – São Paulo – Brazil (Full-time – Since November 2010)
Conception Game Designer: Blood and Glory: Legends (Android, iOS)
- Worked with the system’s design at the very early concept stage of the project.
Lead Game Designer: Blood and Glory (Android, iOS)
- Designed the game structure & game mechanics
- Prototyped core combat gameplay with 4 programmers
- Tweaked the difficulty curve and gameplay parameters
- Created the game economy
- Level designed the enemies and their fightstyles
Ubisoft Entertainment – São Paulo – Brazil (Full-time – Since October 2008)
Lead game designer: Michael Jackson: The Experience (Nintendo DS, PSP)
- Worked on the entire conception. Designed the game structure.
- Did Rational Game Design, and prototyped the gameloop and score system with a programmer and artists.
- Tweaked the difficulty curve and gameplay parameters.
- Worked to redesign the gameplay UI to have a better understanding of the game score.
- Level designed 6 songs of the game.
Game Designer: 3DS Project (Cancelled)
- Worked as game designer for the conception of a game for 3DS
Game Designer: Imagine Detective (Nintendo DS)
- Designed some minigames, and prototyped them with a programmer and artist, helping with the signs and feedbacks.
- Tweaked the game features, optimizing gameplay.
- Managed the difficulty curve and game progression.
- Responsible for the game tests, achieving a “solid go” in the first submission for Nintendo TRC.
Imagine Play LTDA – São Paulo – Brazil (Full-time – January 2007 – October 2008)
- In charge of creating web advergames for several Brazilian companies
- Designed a serious game for a quality security consultant company
- Designer a mobile RPG game for the Brazilian market
Level Up! Interactive S.A – São Paulo – Brazil (Full-time – June 2006 – September 2006)
- In charge of analyzing MMO games from foreign publishers leading a group of 15 testers and producing complete reports about each game and the ones suited for the Brazilian market
- Replaced the Ragnarök Product Manager for 1 month during his vacation, being responsible for the game’s maintenance, patches, and all the other Product Manager functions
Level Up! Interactive S.A – São Paulo – Brazil (Internship – May 2004 – June 2006)
Quest Creation and Community Moderator
- In charge of more than 100 in-game quests creation for the MMORPG Ragnarök Online Brazilian servers.
- Designed several projects for consumer fidelity.
- Big contact with the game’s community being the companies’ administrator and moderator on the official forum of the game, analyzing and gathering suggestions for the in-game quests and other companies’ issues.
- Direct contact with the Korean developers, issuing 4 scripted in-game events per month, highly evaluated by the community.